From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Review: news item and script for CPU_FLAGS_X86
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 19:09:32
1 Dnia 2015-01-26, o godz. 16:40:35
2 Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o> napisał(a):
3
4 > On Mon, 26 Jan 2015 16:20:10 +0100
5 > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
6 >
7 > > Dnia 2015-01-26, o godz. 12:41:00
8 > > Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o> napisał(a):
9 > >
10 > > > On Sat, 24 Jan 2015 00:35:39 +0100
11 > > > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
12 > > >
13 > > > > Title: CPU_FLAGS_X86 introduction
14 > > > > Author: Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o>
15 > > > > Content-Type: text/plain
16 > > > > Posted: 2015-01-xx
17 > > > > Revision: 1
18 > > > > News-Item-Format: 1.0
19 > > > > Display-If-Keyword: amd64 ~amd64 x86 ~x86
20 > > >
21 > > > but.... why ?
22 > > > will you write another news item for other arches ?
23 > >
24 > > Are there other arches using CPU_FLAGS_X86? ;) But seriously, the item
25 > > is quite arch-specific. Other arches are likely to have kinda specific
26 > > flags with rules for choosing them, another script etc.
27 >
28 > I think it is better to have it done all in one pass: even if there is
29 > no script, it is just as good as it is today.
30 >
31 > My concern is: This will clutter e.g. ffmpeg ebuild by having two ways
32 > to pass cpu flags, depending on the arch, and will give a kind of silly
33 > output with "altivec" or "neon" as standard useflags but x86 cpu flags
34 > as USE_EXPAND. This is too much inconsistent to me.
35
36 I understand your concern but unless someone's going to do the work for
37 other arches, I doubt there's a point in waiting forever. Script is
38 a minor issue, but someone has to figure out how various packages
39 behave and what flags to use.
42 Best regards,
43 Michał Górny