From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changes in server profiles
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 10:15:47
1 On 10/30/2010 05:09 AM, Markos Chandras wrote:
2 > On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 10:05:17AM +0400, Peter Volkov wrote:
3 >> В Птн, 29/10/2010 в 09:11 -0700, Alec Warner пишет:
4 >>> On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 5:21 AM, Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o> wrote:
5 >>> Can I install a machine with the server profile and USE=-ldap, but
6 >>> still get ldap + pam working?
7 >>> Can I install a machine with the server profile and USE=-apache, but
8 >>> still get apache + php working? apache + rails?
9 >>> How many packages support each USE flag?
10 >>> How many of those packages have IUSE defaults for +ldap or +apache already?
11 >>
12 >> Having lxc/openvz/vserver technologies at hand it's not rare to split
13 >> LAMP server into a number of virtual servers (containers): mysql /
14 >> backend with php / frontend / smtp - everything sits in its own
15 >> container. And USE=apache will be used only in _one_ container. Also not
16 >> all servers are web servers. So IMO server profile should be just
17 >> minimal profile that hints users that this profile will stay minimal and
18 >> usable for all kinds of servers. That said I think server profile is
19 >> useless and for servers I maintain my own profiles.
20 >>
21 >> --
22 >> Peter.
25 > Exactly! How about the warning message. Should the statement about
26 > gcc+glibc be removed and keep the one about hardened but make it a bit
27 > different?Like "This profile is making use of a minimal set of use flag.
28 > You may find it useful in a server environment. However, If you are seeking
29 > for extra security, please check the Hardened project
30 > (http://hardened.gentoo.org)."
33 What exactly is the intended use of the server flag?
34
35 When I want a minimal image, I usually just use the default profile.
36 That is pretty-much a bare-bones gentoo install. I can see the use of
37 desktop, and I can see the use of hardened. Right now server just looks
38 like default with random stuff for various kinds of servers added.
39
40 I could see if server had a different set of keywords and QA policy
41 (like debian stable), or if there were a set of use flags that would be
42 universally useful on a server and not on a desktop.
43
44 Right now it just seems like the server profile exists since lots of
45 other distros have server editions, so we should too. If that is the
46 case, why not just point users to the default profile, or hardened?'
47
48 I'd be curious what the users of the server profile say. If anything
49 they are the ones we should be listening to since they've found a use
50 for it.
51
52 Rich