From: "Kevin F. Quinn (Gentoo)" <kevquinn@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Modular X and hardened
Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 00:28:15
1 On Sat, 13 May 2006 13:10:22 -0700
2 Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Ned Ludd wrote:
5 > > This was handled in the 6.8.x series and got dropped for unknown
6 > > reasons when the modular X porting started happening.
7 > > Unless your dead set on modular X I'd stick with the 6.8.x series.
8 >
9 > We are using the solution that was suggested to us by members of the
10 > hardened team.
11
12 The current solution (bail if -z,now is set in the compiler specs) is
13 not one suggested by the hardened team, just need to make that clear,
14 and it's not something we would encourage elsewhere. However until we
15 can provide a solution for such a high-profile package we are not going
16 to make a fuss.
17
18 Our suggestion was to 'append-flags -nonow' on the server and video
19 driver builds, but when a helpful user tried it, it wasn't enough -
20 we simply haven't had the resource to work it out properly yet.
21
22 > If you have a different solution, please do submit a
23 > patch for it.
24
25 With regards to Duncan's (non-hardened) problem, adding:
26
27 filter-ldflags -Wl,-z,now
28
29 to x-modular.eclass as he suggests should be fine; his issue is
30 different to that with the hardened compiler in as much as he has added
31 the '-Wl,-z,now' to LDFLAGS as advised by the QA message and the above
32 filter will just remove it again; whereas to deal with the hardened
33 compiler we need to reliably add a flag to all the relevant link
34 commands (the bit that takes the effort is working out which are
35 relevant).
36
37 Duncan - perhaps it would be useful if you could raise a separate bug
38 about the QA message and Xorg, and attach the diff you apply to
39 x-modular.eclass.
42 Kevin F. Quinn