From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: Jon Portnoy <avenj@g.o>
Cc: Gentoo-User <gentoo-user@g.o>, Gentoo-Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] donations to what?
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 10:55:47
1 On Thu, 2003-06-26 at 05:50, Jon Portnoy wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 11:24:50PM -0400, Owen Gunden wrote:
3 > > (cross posted to gentoo-user & gentoo-dev)
7 > > As far as I can tell gentoo is a for-profit company; does that mean my
8 > > money could just go straight into Gentoo Inc.'s profit margin? Is there
9 > > any way for me to make a donation that I am sure will get back to the
10 > > community?
13 > Gentoo is going to go non-profit soon.
14
15 The last time I checked, it is non-profit.
16
17 The big problem however (which nobody really do seem to understand,
18 or want to for that matter), is that because we are small (is this
19 really a fact anymore?), we do not have dedicated long-term financial
20 backup (last time I checked anyhow).
21
22 Meaning, as long as I have been on the dev team (going/over 2 years
23 now?), everything that needed doing, was either paid for by Daniel,
24 or donated by one of the other devs. Sure, it have changed somewhat
25 in the last few months, but people like Daniel and Seemant, who
26 pretty much do this full time, had to scratch to get by. Also, some
27 of the other devs that is/was more key figures, that could not do
28 it full time, could only give so much time to Gentoo.
29
30 Gentoo Games was thus formed to (if I have all the facts straight)
31 in an attempt to get a more steady stream of funds to start and
32 sponsor key developers for full time development, and then also
33 when they are settled, to help more devs that actively contributing
34 to start working full time (you do want Gentoo to grow, etc right?).
35
36 It seems that nobody do realise that Gentoo the distribution, is
37 and will always be non-profit, but that Gentoo Games (or whatever)
38 will be a means to develop technology outside Gentoo Linux to
39 help sponsor devs for full time development. Not to give Daniel
40 or Seemant enough funds to buy a new house and a few Ferrari's.
41
42 The only reason for whining about this, and not wanting to understand
43 it, is in my opinion "just another zealot for no business with OS"
44 (Open Source). Do not understand me wrong, trying to back-stab people,
45 etc for own personal riches with OS is wrong. But is it wrong for the
46 people doing the actual work to want to do it without having to
47 worry about how they are going to get through this month with something
48 to eat ?
49
50 And just for those that was wondering - no, I have not received a single
51 sent, hardware or any other forms of compensation for my few
52 contributions to Gentoo.
55 Regards,
59 Martin Schlemmer
60 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop/System Team Developer
61 Cape Town, South Africa