From: Christian Bartl <cbartl@×××.at>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Corrections to install guide - Comments, suggestions ;)
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 15:35:31
1 On Thu, 2002-09-26 at 20:55, Jarrett Heale wrote:
2 > How come it's "emerge sync" now instead of "emerge rsync"?
3 both works
6 > Also, could you through in a line about how to get iptables?
7 > THAT took me forever to find - and I still have no clue what I should
8 > enable with it. All I know is when I apply my settings (I use
9 > guarddog to setup my iptables rules) the same error (something like
10 > "match/rule/table not found") happens like 50 times.
11 emerge iptables???
12 if you mean your kernel-config:
13 make menuconfig,
14 Network options --> Network packet filtering
15 Network options --> IP: Netfilter Configuration -->
16 read the help-entries to each item if you don't know what they are
17 needed for.
18 I'm not your opinion that that info should be in the inst.-guide. If you
19 need more information - there are many tutorials about iptables - which
20 I suggest you to read.
21 I don't know guarddog - sounds like a frontend for iptables. You want
22 security? - Write your own netfilter-rules. It's not as hard it looks.
23 There are many many samples in the www. The first time it will take 2
24 days to configure it and then you exactly know what your rules do and
25 you will feel much more secure!
26
27 > Isn't iptables 80% of why linux is more secure than the leading brand?
28 a WELL CONFIGURED netfilter is one point to get security
31 > wth is a cron? I take it if you don't know you don't install one? Or
32 > should I grab vcron anyway? (as per "If you don't know which one to
33 > choose, you might as well grab vcron")
34 ... I am silent
37 > That's about it. Thanks a lot for your time (if you read this, and
38 Mhm, it takes a long time to scroll through these horribly long lines.
39
40 Regards,
41 Christian