From: Luke <spooq@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo 1.1a Feedback
Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 21:38:12
1 On Sat, 18 May 2002 16:05, andrew fabbro wrote:
2 > - I disagree with your approach to /etc/shells, /etc/passwd, and
3 > /etc/group. It seems like you pre-create every possible pseudo-user/group
4 > and shell that might ever be needed. I'm never going to run qmail, and I
5 > don't need a bunch of qmail accounts. If I did run qmail, I wouldn't need
6 > all those postfix-related accounts ;) I think an installer should warn the
7 > user about adding a group, or add it automatically (there's a longer debate
8 > in there), but trying to foresee every possible package and adding users
9 > really goes against the "you build it from scratch" philosophy (IMO).
10
11 I second this, its getting harder to merge these files. If it werent for the
12 fact that I "need" the new accounts (in case I ever want these programs) I
13 could always keep my current files, with all the users Ive already added. It
14 would be trivial for ebuilds to run useradd instead.
17 Luke