From: Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Tone in Gentoo
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 10:55:38
1 On 19 June 2010 09:10, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." <phajdan.jr@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 6/19/10 8:43 AM, Patrick Lauer wrote:
3 >> As long as it doesn't get actively hostile we can continue with a
4 >> pretty large amount of friction. Read the archives of this mailing
5 >> list if you want to see how much :)
6 >
7 > I think that is the point. Is just not being actively hostile a success?
8 > I'd say that a really friendly community is much more, and reducing
9 > friction seems to be a good goal to create such a community.
10 >
11 > Moreover, we don't just want to get along with ourselves. We want to
12 > encourage other people to join our community. We want to prevent people
13 > more sensitive to the tone (I think it's actually a good thing) from
14 > leaving.
15 >
16 > Because we lose their technical contributions as well (if that's the
17 > only thing you care about).
18
19 This is a point that deserves more consideration. One of the top
20 reasons (as witnessed in forum discussions) many people are not
21 getting more involved and volunteering to become developers is the
22 level of in-fighting and the ineffective way that bullies and other
23 poisonous people are being dealt with. Does Gentoo really prefer to
24 keep more sensitive people out instead of effectively getting rid of
25 repeat offenders?
26
27 Think about it. What kind of people would you rather have in Gentoo?
28
29 Cheers,
30 Ben