From: Eugenia Loli-Queru <eloli@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] GCC 3 Vs GCC 2 and some other stuff
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2002 20:39:50
1 IMO, GCC 3 is better because it generates BETTER and FASTER code. I am all
2 to see it included in the next Gentoo as default. The compilation time is
3 indeed slower than GCC 2.95.X, because it does things that are more complex
4 (hey, they have fixed their previously half-baked C++ support) and because
5 it has not been optimized yet. However, the trade off is acceptable, because
6 you got Konqueror or other (especially) C++ applications to run TIMES
7 faster, *especially* when optimized for PPRO and above (i686). GCC 3.x does
8 not generate as good and fast code as the Intel compiler ("Proton") does,
9 but it certainly beats GCC 2.95.x as much Proton beats GCC 3.x. ;-D
10
11 So, regarding your benchmarks Spider. There is something wrong, definately.
12 And I think our gentoo kernel heads around here should take a close look at
13 it. Sure, GCC 3.X *is* slower on compilation time, however, your tests show
14 a very disturbing fact: Under some circumstances, your CPU seems to spend
15 unreasonable amount of time not doing anything. This could be an indication
16 of a bigger issue, possibly a configuration or a hardware issue. There might
17 be an issue going on with the cache or the filesystem or even the loader.
18 How much memory the PC you used has and what kind of drive and filesystem
19 did you use? (I hope that all this is not a side effect of one of the Gentoo
20 kernel patches...)
21
22 On a completely different issue, I just emerged Netscape 4.x. Netscape's
23 fonts when loading any page are extremely small while Opera's fonts are ugly
24 as nothing else on this planet. I think some Xft configuration is not done
25 properly...
26 Also, when one emerges XFCE, XFCE does not load its window manager, because
27 the xfce little script on /etc/X11/Sessions/ asks for the 'xfce' binary
28 instead of the standard 'startxfce'.
29
30 As for the KDM problem that someone also mentioned in this list, I have the
31 same problem. The user "eugenia" (part of the 'wheel' and 'audio' groups)
32 cannot load KDM (it just doesn't load anything, with no errors displayed),
33 while everything runs fine as a root. Any ideas? (standard X with twm works
34 fine for user 'eugenia' over here)
35
36 Best Regards,
37 Eugenia
41 Editor-in-Chief at http://www.OSNews.com
42 Email: eugenia@××××××.com - ICQ: 6070904
43 Home page at http://www.eugenia.co.uk
51 .
52
54 MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos:
55 http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx