From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] blocking mixed versions of split QT libraries
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 17:11:11
1 On Mon, 18 May 2009 20:01:22 +0300
2 Alex Alexander <alex.alexander@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > is paludis expected to behave like portage in the near future
4 > regarding these blocks?
5
6 Probably not. My issue with the way Portage does soft blocks is that
7 it's way too arbitrary, fuzzy and ill defined.
8
9 There were plans to do blocks properly (include annotations that would
10 let the developer tell the package manager to point the user to a URL
11 explaining the block and how to resolve it) back before Zac went and
12 did his own thing. One of the goals was to tell the package manager
13 exactly what was meant by the block, allowing the package manager to
14 come up with a much more sensible and far less dangerous solution. If
15 those plans are ever revived, Paludis would support them.
16
17 > are there any plans to add support for these kinds of cases in the
18 > PMS? other sets of packages could probably benefit from such a feature
19 > as well.
20
21 I don't recall any existing discussion about such a feature (beyond me
22 moaning in pre-EAPI days about vim/gvim/vim-core breaking in the same
23 way Qt does). So... The way to start is probably by identifying the
24 problem in detail, and identifying other groups of packages affected by
25 similar issues, so we can work out what exactly it is we'd be looking
26 to fix.
29 Ciaran McCreesh