From: Dar-Klajid <dar@××××××××××.de>
To: Paul de Vrieze <gentoo-user@××××××××.net>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Performance once again..
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 12:31:35
1 On Mon, 2003-04-14 at 11:33, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2 > >
3 > > No, not yet.
4 > > I could try to run strace on apache, but the biggest problem is not the
5 > > CPU it uses.. The problem is that it just stops to work. Yesterday I got
6 > > a "MaxClients reached" error and MaxClients is 200.. After that it
7 > > didn't "recover" so I had to restart it before any new connections were
8 > > possible. Since that happened 8h after I started the server again, I
9 > > doubt that I can strace this particular problem? Or do I miss something?
10 >
11 > Do you by any chance use persistent database connections from php. In that
12 > case you might want to look at setting a limit on those connections, or
13 > maybe disallow (or remove the use) them. Also fiddling with the apache
14 > client settings might work. 200 clients is a lot, so probably some are out
15 > on their backs (dead). In the config you can control restarting of those
16 > clients (how long they are allowed to be alive). If you have a really busy
17 > site, they might actually all be in use in which case increasing this
18 > limit is the solution.
19
20 Thanks for the reply, but I already checked all that. No, I don't use
21 persistant connections. I do use a lot of DB-connections, but after this
22 "incident" the server won't serve php-sites anymore and therefor there
23 are no connections on the DB (I checked that on the DB-Server).
24 I'm still not sure what causes this Perl-Error in the error_log
25 (Syslog).
26 I log via a custom logger-script (more or less a perl-oneliner) and some
27 of the lines are send to another host.
28 I used exactly the same configuration/script with Debian before, but
29 Debian uses sysklogd and I switched to syslog-ng during my
30 "distribution-move".
31 Could this be a problem? I'm just guessing here, since I'm totally
32 helpless right now.
33
34 Concerning the other apache settings:
36 KeepAlive On
38 KeepAliveTimeout 15
39 MinSpareServers 5
40 MaxSpareServers 15
41 StartServers 10
45 Anything wrong with this settings? I'm quite sure that I copied them one
46 by one from the Debian config.
50 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list