From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: News item: upgrading to Plasma 5
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2016 15:33:08
1 On Mon, Apr 4, 2016 at 1:55 AM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2 > Michael Palimaka posted on Mon, 04 Apr 2016 05:23:03 +1000 as excerpted:
3 >
4 >> The default in KDE 4 was KDM, with lightdm and sddm also supported.
5 >>
6 >> We included information about migrating away from KDM because it's no
7 >> longer developed or supported and in some cases fails to work with
8 >> Plasma 5 at all.
9 >>
10 >> lightdm continues to work fine with Plasma 5 so there's no special need
11 >> to replace it.
12 >
13 > For clarity, then, why not add a single sentence similar to this (reword
14 > if appropriate):
15 >
16 > KDE 4 also supported lightdm and sddm, and users configured to use those
17 > display managers can continue to use them without reconfiguration.
18
19 You could also use XDM or GDM to launch KDE, but I don't think there's
20 any need to state that in this news item. We only need to make a
21 suggestion for people using the obsolete KDM.