From: "Brett I. Holcomb" <brettholcomb@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Ebuild questions
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 02:55:49
1 Crumbs, my first reply went to Christian instead of the list.
2
3 Thank you.  I went back and reread that document - I guess I'd forgotten
4 about that section. I've been reading man pages, eclasses, and existing
5 ebuilds so I guess my brain overflowed! That has helped a lot - along with
6 rereading some of the eclasses I've printed. At this point I have my ebuild
7 retrieving the cvs files and unpacking them (that's easy with cvs.eclass <G>)
8 and I'm about to get it to compile. I had to make my own src_compile that
9 uses some egames.class functions.
10
11 This is fun! I haven't done any shell programming on unix/Linux for about 15
12 years (I've been working VMS systems and have done a lot of DCL work there
13 and I have done some extensive Windows batch - but that hardly counts <G>).
14
15 I'll dig into some of the eclasses and see what they do.  I'd like to stay
16 with whatever standards we have - it's just finding out about them all <G>.
17
18 > > I've been working on creating an ebuild this week and after working with
19 >
20 > it I
21 >
22 > > have some questions about how ebuilds work.
23 >
24 > nice :)
25 >
26 > > 1. I assume that if I add no functions to an ebuild the process is A)
27 >
28 > src_unpack, B) src_compile, C) src_install. In other words there are
29 > three
30 >
31 > > steps or functions that will be executed. If I desire I can make my own
32 >
33 > functions for these but if I don't I get these three steps executed by
34 > emerge.
35 >
36 > Right, but there is more to the story, read section "2. ebuild scripts" in
37 > the link 0. There it is documented 10 such standard functions. For those
38 > of which you do not provide in your ebuild, emerge will do the default
39 > functions.
40 >
41 > [0] http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-howto.xml
42 >
43 > > 2. What is the best way to let the user know what's happening - for
44 >
45 > example,
46 >
47 > > "compiling xyz module now". I notice some builds use einfo to put out
48 >
49 > messages about what you have to do after install (add user to groups,
50 > etc).
51 >
52 > > Are there specific ebuild functions I should use or are plain old echo
53 >
54 > statements okay?
55 >
56 > the pkg_postinst function is often used to place information about what to
57 > after the install, I think using einfo and ewarn is good practice.
58 >
59 > > Thanks.
60 >
61 > np,