From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Proposed removal of service: torrents.gentoo.org
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2012 18:52:42
1 torrents.gentoo.org has been down for a few months now, and there have
2 been very few comments about it. Up until a few years ago, it was still
3 quite useful, but I believe that we have sufficient bandwidth and
4 mirror-coverage around the world that it's become a moot point.
5
6 If you have any complaints, objections, etc, please respond in this
7 thread.
8
9 Service:
10 ---------
11 torrents.gentoo.org
12
13 Service termination date:
14 -------------------------
15 Already (it's been broken a while)
16
17 Functions:
18 -----------
19 - .torrent file hosting
20 - BitTorrent tracker
21 - BitTorrent stats per .torrent files
22
23 Handling of functions going forward:
24 ------------------------------------
25 If we need torrents in future, we should use public trackers, as there
26 is no further need to run our own BitTorrent tracker. The .torrent
27 files themselves should live on our own mirrors, with GPG signatures to
28 prove authenticity (we actually only need to sign the infohash value).
29
30 The only thing we'd actually be losing is statistics on the .torrents,
31 which were never that accurate to begin with - people gamed them more
32 than once, and we didn't always catch them in time, if anything, what
33 statistics we have would currently under-report by some degree, possibly
34 as much as 50%.
37 Robin Hugh Johnson
38 Gentoo Linux: Developer, Trustee & Infrastructure Lead
39 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
40 GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85