From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] FEATURES to cut the excess in portage
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 06:42:16
1 John Jawed wrote:
2 > At larger sizes the loading the initrd would actually cause a kernel
3 > panic on pivoting root...whether this was a result of a kernel config,
4 > a set maximum size limit, or something else I'm not exactly sure of.
5
6 Yes, there's a hardcoded limit in the kernel config that you can change.
7 With the sizes you're mentioning, however, I'd be prone to just using a
8 NFS root so files go across the network on-demand instead of shipping
9 whole initrd's all over the place unconditionally.
10
11 A more general discussion of netbooting ideas and implementations would
12 fit right in on the gentoo-cluster list, which you should definitely
13 sign up for if you aren't there yet. I'd like to hear more details on
14 your setup(s).
15
16 Thanks,
17 Donnie