From: Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Let's redesign the entire filesystem!
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 14:02:04
1 On 03/14/2012 19:44, Greg KH wrote:
4 > Oh, and somehow "consensus" will work? No, sorry, it will not.
7 If compelling arguments were used, yes, you can sometimes trigger people to
8 change their minds and arrive at a consensus. But outright dismissing them
9 as if that will make them disappear is what won't work.
12 > So it's not a "we know best", it's a "it will not properly work
13 > otherwise."
16 Udev is the only package I have installed in my VM setup that fails at boot
17 with a separate /usr and no initramfs. And that isn't even a fatal failure,
18 but it is a failure none the less, at least by virtue of OpenRC flagging the
19 fact that udev returned an error code. Everything else works fine.
20
21 But it's not udev that is broke, is it? It's my setup, right? I've been
22 wrong for the last 10 years? Why was this ever referenced then in the
23 Security Handbook? See Code Listing 1.1:
24
25 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/security/security-handbook.xml?part=1&chap=4
28 > It is strange to watch people somehow think that if they complain
29 > enough, or feel strongly enough, something is going to change here to
30 > make this basic fact go away.
33 It's human nature to complain or otherwise voice dissent, especially when
34 someone or something comes along and declares that what used to JustWork(TM)
35 now NoLongerWorks(TM).
36
37 Does that mean my dissent matters? Probably not. But that's not going to
38 stop me from trying.
41 Joshua Kinard
42 Gentoo/MIPS
43 kumba@g.o
44 4096R/D25D95E3 2011-03-28
45
46 "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And
47 our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
48
49 --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic