From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] MULTI_ABI support addition to main tree portage
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2010 19:06:31
1 Hi Thomas,
2
3 On 01-12-2010 19:57:46 +0100, Thomas Sachau wrote:
4 > The current implementation uses a USE-dep like way internally to
5 > satisfy the needed dependencies, so that e.g. 32bit libs on a 64bit
6 > platform get their required dependencies built with 32bit libs
7 > installed.
8
9 This just means that if I install package X, which depends on Y and
10 MULTILIB_ABI="amd64 x86", Portage will complain (or reinstall) Y if it
11 doesn't have both amd64 and x86, right?
12
13 > While i did not yet get to the implementation of it, i would also like
14 > to propose something similiar for languages (like python, ruby or
15 > others), so that the basic parts are inside the PM and we can drop the
16 > different ways of implementation and allow users a much more
17 > fine-grained control on a per package base (in relation to the current
18 > way python eclass based very complex implementation works).
19
20 This would be absolutely great!
24 Fabian Groffen
25 Gentoo on a different level