From: Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Naming of repositories: gento-x86 edition, bike shedding wanted
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2015 23:13:43
1 On 03/14/2015 18:25, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > This is a mostly inconsequential issue, but the Git migration provides
3 > us a chance to make a clean break...
4 >
5 > The repository of our ebuilds and the name of the CVS module have been
6 > called gentoo-x86 since the start of Gentoo, because it originally was
7 > only for x86. Here's the very first ebuild added to CVS [1], Portage
8 > v1.1 is also early on [2].
9 >
10 > On the rsync side, it was originally called gentoo-x86-portage, and then
11 > between the 1.2 and 1.4 release (early 2003), the stages switched to
12 > using the name 'gentoo-portage'; as recently as 2010, various mirrors
13 > were STILL fetching from the name of gentoo-x86-portage, when we
14 > reminded them that they should have switched years ago.
15 >
16 > All of these names have caused some confusion. Trying to explain to a
17 > new user that the Portage tree refers to the collection of ebuilds used
18 > by a PMS-compliant package manager (eg Portage) is problematic.
19 >
20 > To that end, I'd like us to brainstorm names for the new
21 > bikeshed^R^R^R^R^R^R^R^R
22 > repository, to go live at the time of the Git migration.
23 >
24 > It will be the single tree that contains what you find today in the
25 > gentoo-x86 CVS module; and on rsync as gentoo-x86-portage and
26 > gentoo-portage.
27 >
28 > Ideally, it should be something that works as a relatively unique
29 > identifier (Portage is bad as it refers to both the package manager and
30 > the tree), and fits easily into discussions, both in-person and online.
31 >
32 > Questions:
33 > 0. What names for the tree/repository.
34 > 1. We have some namespaces in Git: proj, dev, priv, data, sites, exp; should
35 > the tree be in one of those namespaces, a new namespace, or be without
36 > a namespace? git://anongit.gentoo.org/NEW-NAME.git.
37 >
38 > [1] http://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo-x86/net-mail/mutt/mutt-1.2.5-1.ebuild?hideattic=0&revision=1.1&view=markup&sortby=date
39 > [2] http://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo-x86/sys-apps/portage/files/ebuild?hideattic=0&revision=1.1&view=markup&sortby=date#l1051
42 I'm going to march to the beat of a different drummer and suggest we keep it as
43 "gentoo-portage". That's probably the old developer/luddite in me talking, but
44 regardless of whatever the future name is, I'm probably always going to call it
45 the "portage tree", because that's all I've ever known it as.
46
47 I guess if I *had* to choose a new name, the following variations come to mind
48 (kinda in no particular order):
49
50 pkgtree
51 gentoo-pkgtree
52 ptree
53 gentoo-ptree
54 the-tree
55 trunk
56 core
59 Joshua Kinard
60 Gentoo/MIPS
61 kumba@g.o
62 4096R/D25D95E3 2011-03-28
63
64 "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And our
65 lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
66
67 --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic