From: "Jason A. Donenfeld" <Jason@×××××.com>
To: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Global Systemd USE Flag
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2012 14:21:46
1 On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 4:15 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 > INSTALL_MASK=/usr/lib/systemd
3 >
4 > And live happy to the day you notice your system no longer boots.
5
6 This is a nice bandaid, and sure, it "solves" the immediate issue...
7 but it doesn't actually solve the actual issue: when packages
8 optionally install unwanted bloat, we make them an option via a USE
9 flag. In this case, especially, since systemd isn't even the default
10 (nor officially supported, whatever that amounts to), users certainly
11 should not have to manually add an install mask to make portage do
12 what it already should do.
13
14 Besides, as systemd gains momentum, we can probably expect that
15 various pieces of software will have options to enable a systemd mode
16 or a systemd build, or what have you, and then in this case, a global
17 USE flag becomes even more imperative.