From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] PORTAGE_GPG_KEY strictness
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 01:17:24
1 On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 08:53:14AM +0800, Ben de Groot wrote:
2 > > Additionally, while we are NOT enforcing the use of long key-ids
3 > > presently, I strongly encourage ALL developers to move to using them,
4 > > due to known attacks against short ids:
5 > > http://www.asheesh.org/note/debian/short-key-ids-are-bad-news.html
6 > > Long key-ids are the 16/24/32 hexdigit long versions of your key ids.
7 > Why not enforce best practices and only accept the above long key-ids?
8 Depending on the age of your key, this is not practical to check
9 quickly. It would require a call out to gpg to expand a given ID, and
10 see if it actually expands or is already expanded. That's actually why
11 the length check is so complicated.
12
13 If we don't mind forcing devs & anybody using the signing functionality
14 to replace old keys (they'd be well over a decade at this point), we can
15 drop the length=8 variation in the regex.
18 Robin Hugh Johnson
19 Gentoo Linux: Developer, Trustee & Infrastructure Lead
20 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
21 GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85