From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Reinstating old-school GLEPs masterplan
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2017 17:29:53
1 On 09/11/2017 01:08 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > TL;DR: I'd like to reinstate the old-school GLEPs in .rst files rather
5 > than Wiki, put in a nice git repo.
8 I generally agree with you that wiki markup is terrible and that a text
9 editor and a git repo is The Right Way to do things (with Jekyll or
10 whatever to push it to the web). But in my experience, crappy and easy
11 is a better way to get people to contribute. When I've taken wiki
12 documents and moved them into git repos, more often than not I become
13 the sole contributor, and otherwise-technical people just start emailing
14 me their contributions (which decrease greatly in frequency).
15
16 Will it be possible to build the GLEP rst files locally, and view the
17 output exactly as it would appear on the website? I ask because, so long
18 as you don't want to be able to preview the result, you can already
19 write MediaWiki markup into a text file locally. The offline "live
20 preview" ability is the killer feature of RST as I see it.