From: "Kevin F. Quinn" <kevquinn@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Replacing cpu-feature USE flags
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 13:13:24
1 On Thu, 6 Jul 2006 14:44:22 +0200
2 "Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò" <flameeyes@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Thursday 06 July 2006 14:35, Kevin F. Quinn wrote:
5 > > This could easily be done by configure
6 > > scripts; perhaps it would be a good idea to look into writing some
7 > > autoconf macros.
8 > Actually there's little need, you can simply use the #ifdef in the
9 > code, unless you have separated source files for MMX, SSE and so on
10 > (that might as well be), but even then, it's really trivial to
11 > autoconf.
12
13 Yep; I've seen that several packages do it the #ifdef way, which is
14 ideal as we don't need to do set any configure stuff at all then (I
15 guess those packages don't have configure options/use flags to select
16 between mmx, sse etc anyway).
17
18 > The problem is that many autoconf scripts do it the other way around,
19 > by forcing -march or -mcpu (that is deprecated by -mtune too) deduced
20 > from /proc/cpuinfo.
21
22 Ooh; that's nasty. Let me guess - mplayer ... yeah; what a surprise.
23 Presumably we disable such trickery if we see it, as it makes the
24 target code depend on the build system which is obviously wrong - at
25 least for Gentoo.
28 Kevin F. Quinn