From: Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Gentoo Python Project <python@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Adding PYTHON_TARGETS=python2_7 to base profile
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 15:19:01
1 El lun, 14-05-2012 a las 11:09 -0400, Mike Gilbert escribió:
2 > On 5/14/2012 12:50 AM, Ben de Groot wrote:
3 > > On 14 May 2012 04:27, Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
4 > >> To make ebuilds utilizing python-distutils-ng.eclass usable
5 > >> "out-of-the-box", the python team would like to add the following to
6 > >> make.defaults in the base profile.
7 > >>
8 > >> PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7"
9 > >>
10 > >> See also bug 415575 [1].
11 > >>
12 > >> Any objections?
13 > >
14 > > I think this is a good addition.
15 > >
16 > >> I would also like to include python3_2, but I do not think this will be
17 > >> possible due to dev-lang/python:3.2 not being stabilized on several
18 > >> arches. Perhaps this could be set in arch-specific profiles? Would that
19 > >> work?
20 > >
21 > > I don't see how python:3.2 is useful for most of our users. And I
22 > > especially don't see how having two python versions installed (but
23 > > only one active) is useful for most of our users. So let's make
24 > > sure only one version gets pulled in, unless specifically
25 > > configured by the user.
26 >
27 > So long as any installed package depends on dev-lang/python without
28 > specifying a version, the user will end up with python-3 unless they
29 > mask it. There is no easy way out of that situation at this point; I
30 > think it would basically require renaming >=dev-lang/python-3 to
31 > something else.
32 >
33 > If we acknowledge that users have both python:3.2 and python:2.7
34 > installed most of the time, I think it makes sense to set the default
35 > value of PYTHON_TARGETS to match that expectation.
38 Would be too difficult to finally fix ebuilds to properly convet
39 shebangs and so and then, be able to have a proper system even when
40 python3 is main interpreter?
41
42 Personally, I run with it as main interpreter to catch failures, and try
43 to fix them when possible, maybe all devs should do the same to fix
44 packages still not working at all.