From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The /run migration
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2013 15:23:33
1 On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 10:03 AM, Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o> wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA256
4 >
5 > On 06/02/13 09:53 AM, Markos Chandras wrote:
6 >> On 6 February 2013 14:18, Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o> wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>> So, *my* systems do have /var/run -> /run , which means at some
9 >>> point the /run migration did happen and compatibility symlinks
10 >>> were created. If hwoarang's systems don't have this, there must
11 >>> be an issue somewhere.
12 >>>
13 >>
14 >> My system is a brand new ~testing installation with a
15 >> stage3-amd64-20130110.tar.bz2. I am not sure who is responsible
16 >> for creating this symlink. I see the symlink is present on that
17 >> stage3 tarball so somehow it must have been removed from my system.
18 >> Even if it was a user error, then shouldn't there be a mechanism of
19 >> recreating it on every boot if it's gone missing? At least until
20 >> all init scripts migrate to /run.
23 > ..there was a discussion a week or two back about portage cleaning up
24 > symlinks, or something that needs to be done to keep portage warning
25 > about symlinks, or something. Anyways, I'm wondering if a change was
26 > made related to that and for whatever reason portage is now cleaning
27 > /var/run
30 Portage will "cleanup" the /var/run symlink after unmerging the last
31 package that installed files under /var/run.
32
33 I think an early init script (bootmisc?) needs to create the /var/run
34 symlink if it is missing.