From: Jan Dubiec <jdx@×××××××××.pl>
To: Cory Visi <merlin@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Patches for MPPE/MPPC
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 11:32:18
1 On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 17:24:50 +0000, Cory Visi <merlin@g.o> wrote:
2 > Hi all. I am working on some ppp bugs and I noticed there is an excellent
3 > kernel patch for MPPE/MPPC available for both 2.4 and 2.6 kernel versions:
4 Thanks ;-)
5
6 [.....]
7 > 1. Can I include the ppp patch in the ppp ebuild? How do I do it legally?
8 IMO the *pppd* patch can be included because it doesn't contain actual MPPC
9 code. MPPC (de)compresion routines are located in the *kernel* patch.
10
11 > 2. Can we include the kernel patch in the gentoo-sources base patch set?
12 > How do we do it legally?
13 IMO, if Gentoo servers are outside the USA (e.g. in the EU), the patches
14 could be included. Although I am not a lawyer.
15
16 I have one question - does somebody of you know if my patches are included
17 in an unofficial Gentoo sources? I am asking because I am receiving a lot
18 of emails from people who use Gentoo and my patches. They use "stdopt"
19 (e.g. ppp-2.4.2-stdopt-mppe-mppc-1.1.patch.gz) version of the pppd patch.
20 It has MPPE/MPPC related options compatible with original pppd-2.4.2.
21 Unfortunately, because of that it inherits also a few drawbacks of the
22 original. So if you decide to include my patches into Gentoo sources, I
23 recommend using non-"stdopt" pppd patch (i.e. ppp-2.4.2-mppe-mppc-1.1.patch.gz).
24 I generates much less email traffic from unexperienced users.
25
26 Regards,
27 /J.D.
28 --
29 Jan Dubiec, jdx#slackware.pl, mobile: +48 506 790442
30
31 G³êboka wiara wymaga p³ytkiego rozumu i nik³ej wiedzy.
34 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list