From: Joe Peterson <lavajoe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Default blank lines for error, elog, einfo, etc
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 13:16:23
1 Benedikt Morbach wrote:
2 > On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 12:02 PM, Peter Volkov <pva@g.o> wrote:
3 >> But speaking about names of options - -A and -B are easier to remember
4 >> as -A stands for above and -B for below and grep users already knew
5 >> that.
6 >
7 > for grep -A means after and -B before ;)
8
9 I (not having used those grep options frequently), would find it hard to
10 remember if "-A" meant "blank line after this" or "this after a blank
11 line". I am more visual person, so I'd find the separate
12 eblank/eseparator easier to visualize, and the look of the ebuild src
13 would match the output more naturally.
14
15 As for why it would be more useful than eerror/ewarn without an
16 argument: it would potentially allow for intelligent "context-based"
17 coloring of the "*" (based on surrounding lines).
18
19 -Joe
20 --
21 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list