From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] QA bikeshed: killing USE=dedicated in favor of uniform USE=client+server
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2015 19:56:20
1 On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 2:03 PM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 08/20/2015 07:42 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
3 >> As an alternative, we would use USE=client and USE=server along with
4 >> proper IUSE defaults to control client & server builds appropriately.
5 >> Both flags use positive logic, and REQUIRED_USE='|| ( client server )'
6 >> is rather clear.
7 >>
8 >> Does anyone see any real problems with that?
11 > That increases the burden of managing configuration and further abuses
12 > REQUIRED_USE where it wasn't meant to be used in the first place.
15 I don't think Michał is encouraging the use of REQUIRED_USE. It would
16 only be used in cases where you could only install a client or a
17 server, but not both. I imagine that would happen rarely, if ever.
18
19 I support this approach. Lots of other client/server packages are
20 moving in this direction, or even splitting the client/server into
21 separate packages in some cases (I'm not suggesting making the latter
22 mandatory).
23
24 The typical game would have IUSE="+client +server" and then users
25 could set -client if they want a dedicated server, or -server if they
26 want a dedicated client, or whatever. It seems pretty intuitive to
27 me.
30 Rich