From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Time based retirements
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 10:39:30
1 On 21 December 2012 06:09, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2 > Rich Freeman posted on Thu, 20 Dec 2012 22:33:55 -0500 as excerpted:
3 >
4 >> On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 10:21 PM, Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o>
5 >> wrote:
6 >>> I could MAYBE understand it if they're consuming some valuable resource
7 >>> that we need to free up by retiring them. But instead they get a
8 >>> nasty-gram about their impending retirement and decide if that's how
9 >>> they are to be treated that they can be retired.
10 >>
11 >> Could anybody post the text of one of these "nasty grams?"
12 >>
13 >> I can understand the sense in just checking in to make sure a developer
14 >> still is interested in Gentoo and wants to retain cvs access. However,
15 >> I think the bar for keeping access should be kept low - they shouldn't
16 >> be forced to go find some trivial change to make just to get their name
17 >> in the logs.
18 >>
19 >> Sure, sometimes real life gets busy, but if a dev still runs Gentoo and
20 >> has interest they're fairly likely to return when life settles down.
21 >
22 > Obviously I can't post the text of one of these "nasty grams", but I was
23 > around when the idea was first discussed and then implemented, by
24 > undertakers and infra, with the blessing of either council or whatever it
25 > was that came before (I was young in gentoo back then and didn't have a
26 > clear understanding of how it all worked, but when I started, drobbins
27 > was still around, but in the process of setting up the foundation and etc
28 > so he could leave gentoo in good shape when he did retire, and IIRC/
29 > AFAIK, he had turned things over to some sort of interrim executive
30 > committee... and I don't recall whether the events here predated what we
31 > call council today, or not).
34 Sorry, this e-mail is huge for a topic like this. Please consider
35 breaking your thoughts into logical chunks.
38 Regards,
39 Markos Chandras / Gentoo Linux Developer / Key ID: B4AFF2C2