From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: newsitem: unmasking udev-181
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 05:12:04
On 3/11/12 10:33 AM, William Hubbs wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 07:28:41PM -0800, Luca Barbato wrote: >> On 3/10/12 6:53 PM, Rich Freeman wrote: >>> neither the genkernel nor dracut docs have specific instructions about >> >> I guess we could pour more effort in getting dracut more easy to use >> and/or try to figure out which are the items that should be moved to / >> and fix the remaining ones... > > I highly discourage moving more things to /. If you google for things > like, "case for usr merge", "understanding bin split", etc, you will > find much information that is very enlightening about the /usr merge and > the reasons for the /bin, /lib, /sbin -> /usr/* split.
Our current init system doesn't have any problem with /usr being mounted later, but udev might have issues. Same could be said about bluez and dbus.
> I'll start another thread about this farely soon, but for now I'll say > that even though Fedora is a strong advocate of the /usr merge, it > didn't start there. Solaris started this 15 years ago, and I think it > would be a good thing for gentoo to implement the /usr merge at some > point to make us more compatible with other unixes. Another thing to add > is that it appears that at least Fedora and Debian are doing this.
Hurd got it first if I recall correctly. But hurd is a bit fringe I'd say. lu

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: newsitem: unmasking udev-181 Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>