From: Evan Powers <powers.161@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Init replacement
Date: Sun, 04 May 2003 20:25:47
1 On Sunday 04 May 2003 12:49 pm, Björn Lindström wrote:
2 > SGML (and thus HTML) was never originally intended to be human
3 > readable/hackable. The same goes for XML. It is designed to be
4 > easily _parsed_, not easily _read_.
5
6 I think you've made an excellent point here, one people should not quickly
7 overlook. Though I'll take a slightly different perspective.
8
9 XML isn't intrinsically harder to read than any other general-purpose
10 expressive system. When humans say that it is, what they're really doing is
11 complaining that they cannot use domain-specific sub-syntaxes. (Or rather,
12 that they are discouraged from doing so.)
13
14 Example. Mathematical notation isn't /necessary/, people could just write "a
15 quantity named y equals the indefinite integral of f, a function of a
16 quantity named x, times the derivative of the quantity x". But they never do,
17 instead preferring to write "y=", a certain squiggle, and "f(x)dx".
18
19 Does anyone actually think a human is ever going to (voluntarily) write an
20 equation of even moderate complexity in MathML?
21
22 My point is this:
23
24 Starting and stopping most services is a task that can be broken down into
25 execing or fork-execing another program with a particular environment,
26 particular command line arguments, and particular input and output
27 redirections. Shell is a domain-specific language particularly suited to
28 expressing these operations.
29
30 I won't say that XML has no place, or that script snippets shouldn't be
31 embedded within an XML document, or that the script a human writes shouldn't
32 be immediately translated into its XML equivalent. I am saying, however, that
33 humans will insist on writing in the shell domain-specific language where it
34 is more convenient for them to do so, and that forcing them to do otherwise
35 in the name of anything is a long-term design mistake.
36
37 Which I suppose is a quite strong statement to make after all.
38
39 Evan
42 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list