From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFI: A better workflow for github pull requests
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2015 17:56:35
1 On Sat, 12 Sep 2015 21:12:25 +0200 Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Hello, everyone.
3 >
4 > The current workflow for handling github pull requests is at least
5 > suboptimal. Handling pull requests takes a fair effort from the few
6 > developers contributing there, and the progress is often stalled by
7 > package maintainers which are either unresponsive or not registered on
8 > github at all. That's why I'd like to get your ideas on how we could
9 > improve the workflow.
13 > Current workflow
14 > ================
15 >
16 > Let's summarize the current workflow first. Right now, there's a few
17 > Gentoo developers who actively monitor pull requests on gentoo/gentoo
18 > repository. Those developers review incoming pull requests and help
19 > submitters get their contributions in shape. Some of those developers
20 > also try to 'CC' (@-mention) package maintainers to get their attention
21 > on the pull request.
22 >
23 > Sadly, @-mentioning sucks for a few reasons:
24 >
25 > 1. Many of the Gentoo developers have different nicknames on GitHub.
26 > Some developers don't even set their real names which makes them even
27 > harder to find.
28 >
29 > 2. Teams can be created only by repository 'owners' (which pretty much
30 > is equivalent of Infra). Which practically means I'm the only person
31 > migrating teams (projects, herds) to GitHub.
32 >
33 > 3. GitHub notifications are not very reliable. Some developers get only
34 > some of them via mail, some don't. And some simply don't care.
35 >
36 > 4. Some developers openly refuse to work with contributors via GitHub.
37 > Proxying them manually is not really productive.
41 > Potential solution: bi-dir github <=> bugzilla integration
42 > ==========================================================
43 >
44 > My current idea would be pretty much that:
45 >
46 > 1. a new dedicated Gentoo bug would be automatically created for every
47 > pull request on github,
48 >
49 > 2. all comments from github would be automatically copied to bugzie.
50 > All bugzie comments would be automatically copied to github,
51 >
52 > 3. resolving the bug would automatically close the relevant pull
53 > request.
54 >
55 > This way, all pull requests can be assigned to package maintainers in
56 > Bugzilla without having to resort to GitHub user or team names. All
57 > involved parties would get more reliable Bugzilla notification mails.
58 > They could choose to either use the provided URLs to discuss the pull
59 > request on GitHub, or discuss it directly on Bugzilla, whichever is
60 > more convenient to them.
61 >
62 > The additional Bugzilla load should be manageable, though we may want
63 > to employ some kind of rate limiting in case someone though it'd funny
64 > to spam our bugzilla via spamming github.
65 >
66 > Problems:
67 >
68 > - handling line comments (probably a Bugzie comment with quoted code
69 > snippet),
70 >
71 > - handling comment edits and removals,
72 >
73 > - some people will get double mail for each comment,
74 >
75 > - extra bugs for existing issues (we shouldn't really try to reuse
76 > existing bugs for this).
80 > What are your thoughts? Any other proposals?
81
82 Gentoo workflow should not depend on a proprietary tools like
83 github issue tracker and github pull requests.
84
85 Best regards,
86 Andrew Savchenko