From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Installing 1.0-rc6-r9 on Vaio Laptop
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 09:37:02
1 On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 10:44:12AM +0200, Christian Hergl wrote:
2
3 > 1. Problem: Got a pcmcia network card and a pcmcia cdrom. The cd image boots
4 > fine, but... can't mount the cdrom (isn't recognized by the kernel after it
5 > takes control, though the ramdisk loads fine). So I wanted to go over a fat
6 > or ntfs partition. Suprise: the gentoo kernel can't mount any other
7 > filesystem. Now, after long thinking and a different solution (lotsa
8 > different bootdisks), I found a file called /etc/filesystems. Does it help if
9 > I put the fat and ntfs line in there?
10
11 OK: PCMCIA support currently isn't tested or fully enabled. Also, we *do* have
12 support for every filesystem on the boot CD; however, you need to "insmod" the
13 modules with -r9 and earlier. Things should be much easier with -r10, which
14 includes modprobe.
15
16 > 3. Install and compile worked well enough (perl was a bit bouncy with
17 > some timeout in iolibs?) and I got the system up and running. But...
18 > pcmcia again. This packet (in pcmcia-cs of portage) also complains about
19 > the missing X (been on the list before, same bug here). So, erasing X
20 > from the USE-Variable. Compiles till to the 3c575/tulip, then stops
21 > there with an error 2 =P Same error one all three version of the
22 > pcmcia-cs package (28, 28-r1 and 29). Suprisingly enough, if I install
23 > the package manually (from the tar.gz sources), it worked and compiled
24 > fine! Some ebuild problem?
25
26 pcmcia-cs seems to choke when you use certain configuration options. What
27 config options did you use? We made our options more correct, and all of
28 the sudden the builds started dying.
29
30 > 4. So, about starting the pcmcia.... I'm totally confused by the new startup
31 > scripts. I mean, I'm used to the rc runlevels and stuff. The problem now that
32 > I have (AFTER manually installing the pcmcia startup script according to the
33 > ebuild AND manually altering the PCIC in it to yenta_socket, as the i8xxx
34 > doesn'T work on my laptop (and 2.4.x in general?)): the pcmcia startup script
35 > gets called AFTER the network driver is supposed to be loaded by modules. Is
36 > there ANY way to change the timing/row of the startup scripts? Currently I
37 > manually load the pcmcia modules before the network module in 'modules'. I
38 > doubt that is wanted....
39
40 A Gentoo Linux version of the pcmcia startup script (with dependencies) is
41 currently in development.
42
43 > 5. I get every time now I boot a log replay of my reiserfs happens.
44 > Also, mount/umount and du don'T work, probably due to the new devfs?
45 > Could someone clue me in pleeze how to get my reiserfs consistent every
46 > time I (re)boot? I have a baaaad feeling about it, like it doesn't get
47 > unmounted properly...
48
49 What do you mean by "mount/umount and du don't work"?
50
51 > 6. Yah, and with the yesterday's version of the portage tree I can't
52 > compile Xfree. Period, any version. Is that knowen yet? If not, tell me
53 > and I look up the exact lines where it bounces out (short after the
54 > depencies calculation, I guess)
55
56 Yes, please post the error dump.
57
58 > Else this is the newest linux I've seen so far and think it'S nifty. =)
59 > Bad luck that r10 came out today. Is it just the hdparm adjustement, and
60 > can that be fixed into a r9 too? (reinstalling and recompiling would
61 > take again almost at least 1 day =P)
62
63 Just things to make installation easier.
64
65 > Thanks for the toy to play with,
66 > Christian
67
68 You're welcome.
69
70 > PS: Build from Sources docu: code listing 25. Shouldn'T it be
71 > net.eth0-dhcp somewhere in there? =) It looks very much the same like
72 > code listing 24 ;)
73
74 OK; fixed. Also, we now use rc-update to install the scripts. Fixed.
77 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
78 Chief Architect/President http://www.gentoo.org
79 Gentoo Technologies, Inc.