From: Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Fw: [gentoo-core] [POLICY] Keywording/Stabilizing Bug Assignment Policy
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 22:45:11
1 Begin forwarded message:
2
3 Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 00:12:26 +0200
4 From: Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o>
5 To: gentoo-core@l.g.o
6 Subject: Re: [gentoo-core] [POLICY] Keywording/Stabilizing Bug
7 Assignment Policy
10 On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 21:50:26 +0200
11 "Stefan Schweizer" <genstef@g.o> wrote:
12
13 > As a maintainer I have to deal with many stable/keywording requests.
14 > Those are bugs that generally hang around in my bugzilla queries and
15 > fill my mailbox and I do not have any ability to help there or fix
16 > them. Those bugmails constitute spam for my mailbox.
17
18 The bugs you open generate too much information? So basically you do
19 too much work to still cope with the consequences of that very same
20 work? Maybe you can get a dev to act as your secretary? (I am being
21 serious.)
22
23 This matter appears to be entirely unrelated to the original thread,
24 too.
25
26 > It would be cool to implement a keywording@g.o alias just to
27 > assign those bugs to so that we maintainers do not need to see them.
28
29 So this way you would avoid receiving important information? Why don't
30 you set up bugsy not to inform you about these under [Email
31 Preferences]? Whether it is wise to do this, is a different matter
32 altogether.
33
34 > In my opinion the last architecture should also remove the old ebuild
35 > they have just made obsolete by stabling/keywording the new version,
36 > since they commit to the directory anyway.
37
38 Some more policy would be need on this second matter entirely unrelated
39 to the original thread. The last arch dev keywording a package should
40 then check as well whether the package:
41
42 1) is SLOTted.
43 2) has a history of having users choose specific versions (mask newer
44 versions, basically) based on their own needs.
45
46 If a package is not SLOTted, it is still not clear whether 2) is the
47 case, so IMHO only the package maintainer should ever (yet diligently)
48 clean up so-called "old" ebuilds.
51 Kind regards,
52 JeR
53 --