From: George Prowse <george.prowse@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [Gentoo Phoenix] recruitment process
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2010 16:51:04
1 On 05/04/2010 17:07, Jon Portnoy wrote:
2 > On Mon, Apr 05, 2010 at 08:50:49AM +0300, Eray Aslan wrote:
3 >> Just replying randomly.
4 >>
5 >> On 05.04.2010 04:33, Tobias Heinlein wrote:
6 >>> I think this is a good starting point to get rid of the "some important
7 >>> questions are too hard to answer" dilemma that can be implemented
8 >>> relatively fast. On top of that I like Sebastian's idea to order the
9 >>> quizzes by difficulty -- this means just ordering by the categories I
10 >>> just mentioned would be sufficient: 1 first, then 2, then 3.
11 >>
12 >> I am not against this idea but frankly, I do not understand what is so
13 >> demotivating about the ebuild quiz. If you get demotivated because of a
14 >> single exam, perhaps the problem is with the motivation and not with the
15 >> exam itself. I took the published quiz just for the fun of it and to
16 >> see where I missed. It is not that long.
19 > Agreed...
20 >
21 > I've been following this discussion with mixed feelings. When we
22 > originally began using the quiz system the idea was simply to try
23 > to force new developers to RTFM -- and I was not such a fan of the
24 > entire concept (as I recall, the quizzes were a "suggestion" from Daniel).
25 >
26 > As it turns out, the quiz system has repeatedly proven itself useful
27 > in another way: developers who whine/bitch/moan and are hesitant to
28 > even attempt to complete the quizzes often turn out to be bitchy,
29 > unmotivated, or unpleasant developers. I don't want to name any names,
30 > but I've seen this often.
31 >
32 > IMO, those "boring" "too much like high school" quizzes serve one
33 > extremely valuable function: finding out up front who's a team player
34 > (or at least willing to do something mildly unpleasant for the
35 > Greater Good)
36 >
37 > If that's causing potential devs to drop out... perhaps the system is
38 > working as it should? :)
39 >
40 That assumes the system is working perfectly and the whole fact that we
41 are having this discussion would go against that.
42
43 From what i've read in the community, lots of people would have no
44 problems helping out maintaining packages, they just don't want the
45 baggage that comes with it.
46
47 You could say they're lazy or they're not the "type of developers you
48 want" but at the end of the day they're just different developers, most
49 of whom probably just want to make sure the packages they like are in
50 the tree and updated.