From: Brian Jackson <iggy@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] USE="minimal" for kernel sources
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 20:38:39
1 At one time we had a problem with gentoo sources having way too many use flags
2 and patches which lead to there being an incalculable number of ways that gentoo
3 -sources could turn out. It was a pita to maintain. A pita to troubleshoot.
4 There were weird bugs that we couldn't reproduce easily. Basically, it was one
5 of the worst packages to maintain in Gentoo. We had to adopt an attitude of
6 complete loathing for kernel source packages having multiple outcomes. This
7 loathing is probably still embedded somewhere in all of us that have been on the
8 kernel team at one point or another.
9
10 --Iggy
11
12 Jan Kundrát wrote:
13 > John Mylchreest wrote:
14 >
15 >>For the record, there is a bug open for this. (#64009)
16 >>Personally, I'm not keen on the idea.
17 >>the only way which we can do this is by detecting which arch we are
18 >>installing the sources, for, which immediately means many installs of
19 >>USE=minimal are not the same.
22 > Er, but why is this a problem? Does it matter that the package will
23 > install different files on x86 than on mips? Or am I just overlooking
24 > the point?
25 >
26 > -jkt
30 I top post... suck it