From: Alex Tarkovsky <alextarkovsky@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Resignation (was: Project Sunrise resumed)
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 04:24:02
1 On 7/30/06, Brett I. Holcomb <brettholcomb@×××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > My concerns - first for my systems - are that it is allowing essentially anybody to
3 > submit almost anything with no QA.
4
5 This "no QA" accusation is a complete myth. QA led by actual Gentoo
6 developers is indeed in place at Sunrise [1]. Every single
7 user-authored submission made available in the public overlay was
8 placed there by existing Gentoo developers who've reviewed and
9 approved them. When you check out Sunrise using layman for instance,
10 you are getting what's known as the "reviewed" tree, not the tree that
11 users commit directly to. If these facts still don't assuage your
12 concerns then don't use the Sunrise overlay -- it's that simple.
13
14 I suspect this myth perpetuates because its supporters haven't
15 actually bothered to review the Sunrise procedures [2] already in
16 place and in use. Another source of enlightenment which many, if not
17 all, of the detractors don't seem to have indulged in is dropping by
18 #gentoo-sunrise and watching the Sunrise process as it happens in
19 practice. Please do your homework people, otherwise you're just
20 spreading FUD.
21
22 [1] http://www.gentoo-sunrise.org/sunrise/wiki/SunriseFaq
23 [2] http://www.gentoo-sunrise.org/sunrise/wiki/HowToCommit