From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: location of portage tree
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 19:06:05
1 On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 2:53 PM, Christoph Mende <angelos@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > I believe it's /var/lib/<name>. Here's what FHS says:
4 > /var/cache is intended for cached data from applications. Such data is
5 > locally generated as a result of time-consuming I/O or calculation.
6 > The application must be able to regenerate or restore the data. Unlike
7 > /var/spool, the cached files can be deleted without data loss.
10 I can do rm -rf /usr/portage ; mkdir /usr/portage ; emerge --sync and
11 it will work just fine, I think.
12
13 That really does point to cache. The only thing different from a
14 browser cache is that portage doesn't automatically refresh it.
15
16 distfiles and packages are the same (well, depending on where you get
17 your binpackages from, that might or might not be a cache per-se - if
18 you're just using FEATURES=buildpkg then you can do an emerge -e world
19 and get it back).
20
21 > And:
22 > /var/lib/<name> is the location that must be used for all distribution
23 > packaging support.
26 I think that things like the local list of installed packages belongs
27 in this category. It is a bit debatable how the tree fits into this.
28
29 However, this really is bikeshedding. Sure, /usr isn't ideal, but
30 unless we actually start supporting some use case where it doesn't
31 work so well in the future, I doubt we'll ever see it move. Plus,
32 there is even a case for keeping it in /usr in the Fedora-envisioned
33 /usr-is-ro world. You could have a complete installation and a
34 portage tree that it was generated from all snapshotted there. Sure,
35 maybe /usr/lib or /usr/share might make more sense then, but again, I
36 don't see it changing unless it actually results in a real benefit to
37 users.
38
39 Rich