From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: "Vadim A. Misbakh-Soloviov" <mva@g.o>, dev-portage@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Experimental binary package hosting
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2021 14:11:52
1 Hi Vadim,
2
3 > Finally it happened!
4 > I already planned to try to ask infra/council about sponsoring few
5 > servers for build farm for "official gentoo binhosts" when I had
6 > enough time, but fortunately, you've already did that.
7 > It's very good news.
8
9 Thanks! Nice to see that this is appreciated :)
10
11 So far I'm only using "spare time" on the machine that builds the
12 releng stages (amd64, x86, m68k, riscv). So no need for a big server
13 farm.
14
15 > Btw, do you need any help with that?
16 > I'd be very happy to help with that project.
17
18 Sure! Feel free to add yourself to the Project:Binhost wiki page. I'll
19 ask for an alias and a channel soon.
20
21 The most useful steps now are only half related to actual building. I
22 barely know any python and am not very familiar with portage
23 internals... this is what in my opinion we'd need next:
24
25 1) a tool to manage and manipulate a binpkg/ directory tree
26 The main functions that I see needed are
27 * delete packages/versions that are not in the gentoo repository
28 anymore (xpak and in index file), maybe with some grace time
29 * merge xpak files built elsewhere into the directory (also in the
30 index file)
31 (imagine you have a second container that builds with same CFLAGS, but
32 with use settings for gnome, not plasma... or with updated
33 dependencies because of changes in gentoo.git... you want to merge the
34 trees for distribution without having duplicate builds)
35
36 2) binary package cryptographic signing and verification
37 Essentially we need to finish support for GLEP78; this is being worked
38 on in RinCat's pull request
39 https://github.com/gentoo/portage/pull/562
40 See also https://www.gentoo.org/glep/glep-0078.html
41
42 3) an easy way to figure out if a binary package repo is suitable for
43 a profile / arch / ... or not, and a standard for path names
44 This is not so important right now, and partially also already present
45 I guess.
46
47 The actual builder right now is very simple and wired up with a single
48 daily cron job; the mirrors are only updated manually by me until bug
49 813528 is handled.
50
51 Cheers
52 Andreas
55 Andreas K. Hüttel
56 dilfridge@g.o
57 Gentoo Linux developer
58 (council, toolchain, base-system, perl, libreoffice)