From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: Do we still want group based permissions for storage and power devices in light of ConsoleKit and Policykit?
Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 05:24:26
In Reply to: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: Do we still want group based permissions for storage and power devices in light of ConsoleKit and Policykit? by Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@cox.net>
1 On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 8:13 PM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2
3 [...]
4
5 > User perspective...
6
7 For the sake of having a user with a different point of view, let me
8 say that I firmly believe the new *kit daemons (along things like
9 pulseaudio, systemd, GNOME 3, KDE 4) are the future, and Gentoo should
10 drop support for older technologies as soon as possible. Emphasis in
11 "as soon as possible", not "today".
12
13 The groups model was good, 40 years ago. But it's restrictive (a group
14 gets all or nothing), inflexible, and it difficults the implementation
15 of nice GUIs that take care of them. And it's not only my point of
17 think similarly, and that's why this pletora of new *kit programs (and
18 related new technologies) are becoming mandatory to run not only
19 desktop workstations, but also servers and embeded systems.
20
21 And actually that's the most powerful reason for Gentoo to drop
22 support for the older technologies: The people who actually *writes*
23 the code are starting to drop support for them.
24
25 We should embrace the new technologies. Sure, sometimes a new
26 technology would turn out to be a mistake (HAL), or it would take a
27 while to get really good (pulseaudio, ALSA replacing OSS). But when
28 they finally get "there", it's worth every step of the way.
29
30 Of course they can take a while to get "there", and that's why I'm
31 saying that the support must be dropped "as soon as possible", not
32 "today". But eventualy said support must be dropped: The maintainers
33 of the code would not support it, so I don't see a reason to waste the
34 Gentoo developers time doing it.
35
36 I know a lot of people would be 100% against what I'm saying, and they
37 will be very vocal about it. But I just want to leave note that there
38 are people like me who actually want to embrace this new technologies,
39 and that we are willing to do the testing and suffer the pains of
40 trying the new technologies.
41
42 And I say this as a user of Unix since 1996, and writing this email in
43 my laptop running Gentoo with the systemd and GNOME 3 overlays
44 installed at the same time, and loving how the shape of the future
45 looks like.
46
47 Just my ${CURRENCY/100}.
48