From: Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Adding USE=udev to linux profiles
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2018 03:52:10
1 It's not about *you*. Please provide a reasonable justification.
2
3 On July 19, 2018 9:54:40 PM EDT, Mikle Kolyada <zlogene@g.o> wrote:
6 >On 20.07.2018 04:42, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
7 >> On Thu, 19 Jul 2018 16:51:17 -0500 Ben Kohler wrote:
8 >>> Hello,
9 >>>
10 >>> I'd like to propose adding USE=udev to our linux profiles (in
11 >>> profiles/default/linux/make.defaults probably). This flag is
12 >already
13 >>> enabled on desktop profiles but it also affects quite a few packages
14 >
15 >>> used on non-desktop linux systems.
16 >>>
17 >>> This flag provides useful functionality that most linux users will
18 >want.
19 >>> I'm a bit surprised that we still don't have it in all linux
20 >profiles,
21 >>> but I think we've worked around this in the past by adding
22 >IUSE=+udev to
23 >>> quite a few of those packages (33 packages, 116 ebuilds, by my
24 >count).
25 >>>
26 >>> This missing flag came to my attention again on bug 661584 where
27 >lvm2
28 >>> has IUSE=+udev but cryptsetup has only IUSE=udev, so non-desktop
29 >users
30 >>> have a bit of a mismatch between the 2 and get ugly errors on
31 >cryptsetup.
32 >>>
33 >>> Since this flag only affects linux, I think it makes more sense to
34 >set
35 >>> it in linux profiles than to use IUSE defaults.
36 >>>
37 >>> Any objections to this idea?
38 >> I have server setups with udev disabled for most packages. So udev
39 >> enabled by default will create maintenance problems. While I'm
40 >> perfectly fine with udev enabled by default on desktops, it should
41 >> not be forced on minimalistic setups like servers or containers.
42 >>
43 >> Best regards,
44 >> Andrew Savchenko
45 >+1. widely used profiles should have as least flags enabled by default
46 >as possible, I would not be happy with +udev on my servers.
49 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.