From: Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] IPython 7.17 drops Python 3.6 support AKA upgrade reminder
Date: Sat, 01 Aug 2020 15:36:56
1 On August 1, 2020 6:25:09 AM EDT, Lars Wendler <polynomial-c@g.o> wrote:
2 >On Sat, 01 Aug 2020 12:19:13 +0200 Michał Górny wrote:
3 >
4 >>On Sat, 2020-08-01 at 06:15 -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
5 >>> On Sat, Aug 1, 2020 at 3:29 AM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o>
6 >>> wrote:
7 >>> > I would like to take this as an opportunity to remind you to port
8 >>> > your packages to Python 3.7 and 3.8. According to our timeline
9 >>> > [1], packages that are not ported by the end of the year are going
10 >>> > to be last rited. We would also like to switch to 3.8 in December.
11 >>> >
12 >>> > [1]
13 >>> >
14 >https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Python/Implementations#Implementation_support_timeline
15 >>>
16 >>> So, has anybody given thought to publishing a list of packages that
17 >>> still need to be updated, including their maintainers?
18 >>>
19 >>> Or perhaps filing bugs?
20 >>>
21 >>> Or is the plan to go ahead and watching nothing happen for the next
22 >>> few months, then start masking hundreds of packages, and then watch
23 >>> devs scramble to fix problems they didn't realize existed?
24 >>>
25 >>
26 >>Or perhaps you'd like to help out instead of wasting your own
27 >>and everybody else's time on talking?
30 >Honestly... seeing such replies from you or knowing that you do not
31 >hesitate to hit other devs with your full QA deputy power once they
32 >dare to touch python packages is not motivating in any way to even
33 >consider helping you.
34 >
35 >Have a nice day...
36
37 Lars, do you not recall the previous threads on this? The very same questions were answered about tooling. The very same requests were made and now Michal is providing a reasonable timeline that he would like other devs to help the Python team meet.
38
39 I see plenty of other devs and contributors touch Python packages with no problems... Is it just you maybe?
40
41 It doesn't seem *anything* will work with a few "high profile" devs in the community.
42
43 Provide tooling? Not good enough. Provide a reasonable timeline? Not good enough. Open bugs? We ignore them.
46 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.