From: Christian Parpart <trapni@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] C++ herd proposal
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 05:12:08
1 On Monday 19 September 2005 15:22, warnera6 wrote:
2 > Mark Loeser wrote:
3 > > Paul de Vrieze wrote:
4 > >> I think that dev-util is a very specific category containing
5 > >> development utilities of some sort. There might be some
6 > >> misclassifications in them, but from a user perspective I don't really
7 > >> care about the language anything is written in. As C++ is so
8 > >> widespread I don't think that anything but app-misc or the like should
9 > >> be moved into a dev-cpp category.
10 > >
11 > > This isn't for what the package is written in, but more for what the
12 > > package is for. If the package is a utility for use when doing coding
13 > > with C++, like the ones I listed, then I think it should be in dev-cpp.
14 > > That's what the metadata for the category describes it to be.
15 > >
16 > > Mark
17 >
18 > Once again I'd like to point out that organizing packages in the tree by
19 > category is a stupid idea for this very reason.
20
21 and what's *your* certain proposal then?