From: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] udev-ng? (Was: Summary Council meeting Tuesday 13 November 2012)
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 18:52:25
1 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > > I think that there's a big difference about any developer
3 > > being allowed to create a project under the gentoo umbrella and
4 > > create a project and claim it as Gentoo sponsored without any
5 > > review of the council. I agree that it can exists in the Github
6 > > account, or even in our own infrastructure, but say that Gentoo
7 > > supports it without a previous analysis of the council is wrong
8 > > IMHO.
9 >
10 > In practice there is no difference.
11
12 This thread demonstrates that there was significant *perceived*
13 difference, and as has been pointed out Greg was just the voice
14 of the internets. (Thanks Greg!)
15
16 In practise, it is a git repo with commits by a few individuals.
17
18 But because of where the git repo is located, because of the contents
19 of the commits, and perhaps also because of misunderstanding, it was
20 *perceived* to be something other than what it is.
23 I think it's important to be attentive when such misperception
24 occurs, both to be able to stop it from occuring again in the future,
25 and to attempt clarification of things as quickly as possible.
28 > About the only "sponsorship" Gentoo projects get most of the time
29 > is hosting, and considering that they stuck this one on Github
30 > they're not really even getting that.
31
32 The Gentoo brand is a lot more than infra's lovely hosting.
35 > That said, I see no reason why this project would be any less
36 > eligible for other forms of sponsorship than other projects are,
37 > assuming that somebody can make a compelling pitch for the Trustees.
38
39 I don't think the issue was ever with eligibility, but with how
40 $internet perceived that the Gentoo brand was acting.
41
42 Yes, that's layers of fail, but the world isn't big on facts. In the
43 end the brand that we all know and love got an unneccessary new dent,
44 and the only thing we can do is to learn from that, to try to avoid
45 that it happens again.
48 > However, there aren't "real" projects and "wanna-be" projects in Gentoo.
49
50 Is this a good thing? I think both yes and no. A case could certainly
51 be made for having sunrise projects, like there are sunrise ebuilds.
54 //Peter