From: Peter Volkov <pva@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Installation of static libraries, USE=static-libs proposal
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 11:44:55
1 В Втр, 01/07/2008 в 05:05 +0300, Mart Raudsepp пишет:
2 > Over a year or two ago, it was communicated that it supposedly a policy
3 > that USE=static
4
5 Well, I don't have web-reference at hand now, but there was a thread in
6 gentoo-dev with the subject: "Say no to static libraries!". Summarizing
7 some ideas from there:
8
9 1. Some packages will break if you build their deps with USE=static.
10 This can be fixed when we start to use USE-deps in the tree.
11
12 2. We already have mechanism to make what you want. Just drop
13 EXTRA_ECONF="--disable-static" into your make.conf and to workaround
14 problem stated in point 1 use
15
16 EXTRA_ECONF="${EXTRA_ECONF/--disable-static}"
17
18 in /etc/portage/env/cat/pkg. (For those who interested list of packages
19 for which I have to filter --disable-static is in attachment).
22 Well, I'm using EXTRA_ECONF for more then year now and I'd like to say
23 that it's not perfect solution. Not all packages are autotools based and
24 ignore --disable-static and now I have 103M of static libs on my
25 desktop. So now I'm all for having static-libs USE flag. But please,
26 don't do that on per-package base. Make an eclass for that. Think about
27 not-autotools packages, and don't put it in the tree until we start
28 using USE deps.
31 Thanks for reiterating this discussion. I wanted to return to it soon as
32 seems that USE deps are really about to enter our life.
33
34 And BTW, seems that all gnome packages obey EXTRA_ECONF ;)
37 Peter.

disable-static-broken-packages.list text/plain