From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Revisions for USE flag changes
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2017 17:28:41
1 On Aug 13, 2017 6:38 AM, "Michael Orlitzky" <mjo@g.o> wrote:
2
3 On 08/13/2017 01:01 AM, Hans de Graaff wrote:
4 > On Sat, 2017-08-12 at 05:58 -0400, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
5 >>
6 >> I simply overlooked the global USE change in make.conf because IMO
7 >> it's a nonsense operation.
8 >
9 > This also happens routinely as new python and ruby versions are marked
10 > stable, not via make.conf, but by removing their use.stable.mask.
13 If --newuse is required for that, it shouldn't be. Using a feature of my
14 package manager (--newuse) to facilitate a change to a variable on my
15 machine (USE) is one thing, but changes to ::gentoo are another.
18 I don't think it is practical or useful to revbump a thousand ebuilds when
19 we have a python_targets visibility change, or when the default
20 python_targets value changes.
21
22 While revbumping might be a good idea for specific IUSE changes, I don't
23 think it is always necessary.