From: Per Wigren <wigren@××××.se>
To: Matt Tucker <tuck@×××××××××××××.net>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Destroying dependancies...
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 21:50:43
1 On Friday 28 March 2003 19:12, Matt Tucker wrote:
2 > -- Per Wigren <wigren@××××.se> spake thusly:
3 > > But how do we check that with the current information?
4 > > To use the postfix-case above as an example..
5 > > Postfix works fine with both MySQL v3.x and MySQL v4.x.
6 > > If it is compiled against v3 it has to be recompiled if MySQL is
7 > > upgraded from v3 to v4, but not if it is upgraded from v4.0.11 to
8 > > v4.0.12..
9 > >
10 > > To use MPlayer as another example..
11 > > MPlayer has to be recompiled EVERY TIME that DirectFB is upgraded,
12 > > even minor version, because it links to .so.<complete versionnumber>
13 > > .. But it doesn't need to be recompiled if for example Vorbis is
14 > > upgraded from v1.0.1 to v1.0.2 or even v1.8.5 because it links to
15 > > libvorbis.so.0 ...
16 >
17 > Those may be two different answers. In the case of MySQL, perhaps 4.0
18 > should've been a different slot? In the case of MPlayer, clearly
19 > portage needs a new feature which allows either MPlayer or DirectFB to
20 > specify that a recompile needs to happen when DirectFB is upgraded.
21 >
22 > Perhaps it would make more sense for it to be specified in the
23 > dependancy, because that would allow MySQL 4.0 to specify the same
24 > thing. Of course, you'd need to base it on version:
25 >
26 > RECOMPILE_DEPENDS="<DirectFB-${PV}" or
27 > RECOMPILE_DEPENDS="*"
28 >
29 > RECOMPILE_DEPENDS="<MySQL-4.0"
30
31 I still don't get how that would work.. I also think that would make room for
32 a lot of human mistakes..
33
34 The easiest way must be to run "ldd" on all executables and "*.so*" on
35 install-time and put the dependancies in a LIBDEPS-file..
36 When uninstalling/upgrading, check for "*.so*" that will be removed and "grep
37 libfile.so.0 /var/db/pkg/*/*/LIBDEPS" and mark them for recompilation...
38
39 // Per Wigren
42 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list