From: Duft Markus <Markus.Duft@×××××××.at>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: AW: [gentoo-dev] New developer : Markus Duft (mduft)
Date: Thu, 01 May 2008 10:22:02
1 Hi!
2
3 Just read the mail-archive and (i’m not at work), and felt that I have to say something about the binary packages on windows ;) (so sorry for what the outlook web-access thingy does to emails and threads :))
4
5 Right now we start using Gentoo Prefix as the primary development environment at our company. For that reason I really need a quick and easy method of setting up new machines with any of the three available version combinations of windows and interix (Interix 3.5 runs on Win2K and WinXP, Interix 5.2 runs on Windows Server 2003R2 only, Interix 6.0 runs on Server 2008 and Vista). For that purpose I wrote a setup program, which is capable of installing Interix itself (also the required windows components), setting up some basic things (for example some configurations in /etc, installing openssh, etc.), and finally unpacking a binary prefix snapshot.
6
7 The snapshot is basically just a tar of a freshly bootstrapped prefix (with some extras like gnome-terminal already compiled), normally rooted at /opt/gentoo. The snapshot is unpacked there, and voila – setup takes about 20 minutes, and after that (if you have an X server running, like for example the open-source Xming – the free one is really unperformant though…) you can start gnome-terminal to start working, yeeha!
8
9 Haubi and I had the idea, that binpks would be possible too, and as a little extension, it would be really cool to have an installer like Cygwin has for example. This poses some other problems though, like runpaths etc. I think this approach is better usable for the planned win32 cross prefix – this one will be really cool: cross compile windows native binaries using parity [1] into a separate prefix, which contains only binaries that can run completely without interix (theoretically ;)).
10
11 [1] http://www.sf.net/projects/parity
12
13 Cheers, Markus
14
15 -----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
16 Von: Fabian Groffen [mailto:grobian@g.o]
17 Gesendet: Mi 30.04.2008 20:40
18 An: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
19 Betreff: Re: [gentoo-dev] New developer : Markus Duft (mduft)
20