From: "Jason A. Donenfeld" <zx2c4@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] eselect init
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2013 11:23:46
1 If we're to support sysvinit and systemd at the same time, let each use
2 their upstream paths. This means sysvinit gets /sbin/init.
3
4 This also means that business can continue as usual, and nobody is forced
5 to install eselect-init. The current system works for users who don't care
6 or aren't aware of this innovation. Motivated users who want the ability to
7 change back and forth can emerge eselect-init and modify their init= line
8 in the bootloader.
9
10 This is cleaner because it keeps things more in lockstep with upstream.
11
12 This is also politically easier, as it doesn't require any notable changes
13 or new ebulds to openrc folks, which I can imagine might be met with
14 opposition here and there.