From: William Hubbs <w.hubbs@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Unmerging and CONFIG_PROTECT
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 03:02:29
1 On Sun, Feb 29, 2004 at 09:40:23AM +0900, Jason Stubbs wrote:
2 > On Sunday 29 February 2004 03:46, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:
3 > > On Sat, 2004-02-28 at 02:55, Stuart Herbert wrote:
4 > > > I agree with Jason - a config file that hasn't been modified shouldn't be
5 > > > config-protected. No information is lost when the file is removed, and
6 > > > if a Gentoo user has edited the file, it'll get picked up because of the
7 > > > change in timestamp and md5sum.
8 > >
9 > > It should be left. Consider this case:
10 > > $ emerge packageA
11 > > /etc/services is modified to contain a reference for packageA
12 > >
13 > > $ emerge packageB
14 > > /etc/services is modified to contain a reference for packageB
15 > >
16 > > $ emerge unmerge packageB
17 > > say good bye to /etc/services
18
19 Not true unless package b happened to _OWN_ /etc/services. And, if that is the case, how did package a make the odification to /etc/services in the situation above since it wouldn't have been there yet?
20
21 > I don't have any packages owning /etc/services. It may be that I don't have
22 > any packages installed that have modified it, but I believe it's because
23 > packages that modify it do so in either pkg_postinst() or pkg_config().
24
25 /etc/services, according to my system, is owned by baselayout.
26
27 I think the change that Jason is suggesting is that if you unmerge a package, it could delete files in /etc that it owns and that haven't been changed since the package was installed.
28
29 So, if package a is installed, and there is a file /etc/a.conf that is owned by package a and is never changed by the user, why does it need to stay around when package a is unmerged? I guess I'm missing the problem with this arrangement also.
30
31 William
35 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list