From: Ricardo Loureiro <rjlouro@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC - Gentoo on the Lab
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 15:40:35
1 On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 16:38:11 +0200
2 Marius Mauch <genone@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Define "usable". As only portage uses the tree it would be the only
5 > thing that might break.
6
7 Usable in the way that the client machines should be able to use
8 portage, except it's the hacked (or new package) version that should
9 do everything from the SQL server. For example, a emerge package
10 would behave in 2 possible ways;1- calculate it's dependencies from
11 the portage tree on the SQL server and request the binary packages,
12 2- Request the package and the server would calculate dependencies
13 and get the binary done. I'm more keen on the second since it takes
14 away processor time from the clients, but that involves sending
15 sensitive information such as world files and make.conf over the
16 network.
17
18 > As far as I know, yes. But it wasn't what you wanted anyway (only
19 > implemented a SQL cache for faster searching, interesting that
20 > almost
21 > every "rewrite" attempt implements searching first)
22
23 I asked because it would be nice to talk to their devs, so I could
24 know in advance what were their problems and what they would have
25 done different. Anyway the project will be different, as you said,
26 but another goal was to produce a single machine mode that would use
27 a relational database engine as portage tree.
30 > I'd guess baselayout + it's deps + libc are the absolute minimum
31 > (excluding baselayout-lite and other embedded solutions).
32
33 Thanks, that was exactly what I was looking for.
36 > > 4- Any ideas on how the conf files should be handled?
37 >
38 > Depends on your client nodes, if they are (almost) identical I'd
39 > just
40 > sync them from a master node. If not it gets complicated.
41
42 That's the problem, very different machines (and maybe some time
43 later even arch's). The best way was to produce yet another
44 etc-update, but 5 months for a single person is too little time for
45 that. In general most of the times if the config files are not
46 changed it's safe to overwrite, else don't, but sometimes pakcage
47 versions have config files re-written, and that's a problem. Just
48 wanted to know what you ppl do in these situations and maybe found
49 something I was not aware of.
52 > Anyway, I hope you realize that your project doesn't only involve
53 > hacking on portage, but rewriting almost all of it for the client
54 > part.
55 > Actually I'd rather suggest you start from scratch (so you also
56 > make it
57 > work completely without a tree), or wait for Brians rewrite in HEAD
58 > (not
59 > a good idea though if you have a deadline). Server should be less
60 > of an
61 > issue, mostly config tweaks there.
62
63 My initial thought was a from scratch portage in python that could
64 use many of the code already done, that would be better since portage
65 itself doesn't need a client-server mode and I could learn a lot more
66 this way. Waiting is not an option, no pressure on other ppl and
67 limited time for the project, but I hope to have the time to change
68 it after the deadline as a personal hobbie.
69
70 > But as Donnie said, gentoo-portage-dev is the better list for this
71 > discussion.
72
73 Did already, thanks for your help already.
76 Ricardo Loureiro
77 --
78 http://pgp.dei.uc.pt:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x6B7C0EC0