From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [OT] pkgcore bikeshed (was Portage team)
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 18:22:09
1 On Mon, 13 Jan 2014 19:16:45 +0100
2 Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o> wrote:
3 > On Mon, 13 Jan 2014 08:49:17 -0800
4 > Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
5 > > The caching may not be of use, depending on your configuration. (For
6 > > example, if you use a gentoo-x86 checkout as your main repo, you
7 > > will probably want to run generate cache entries whenever you cvs
8 > > up.) It is there to cache ebuild metadata, because if your depgraph
9 > > has a few thousand nodes, having to spawn bash to generate the
10 > > metadata for every node is very expensive.
11 >
12 > It sounds crazy to use gentoo-x86 without a cache; to some extent, the
13 > earlier mentions on this ML by Ciaran that we should improve input
14 > would make more sense if would want to run without a cache. But I feel
15 > like this shouldn't be a topic of discussion unless we intent 'works
16 > fast on a plain CV checkout' to be an actual feature.
17
18 I think you're misunderstanding that comment. It's not just the file
19 formats that are bad. It's also what data is provided. Two examples are
20 the massive lengths we have to go to to figure out what to do with ||
21 dependencies (thanks to the horrific abuses commonly used in the
22 tree...), and the well-documented REQUIRED_USE screwup.
26 Ciaran McCreesh